Northport VA Medical Center
Extended Care and Rehabilitation
For the following programs, patients must meet the eligibility criteria for long term care and will be assessed regarding LTC co-payment prior to evaluation for the program. An exception may be made for patients requiring Palliative Care.
The Geriatric Evaluation and Management Program (GEM)
The GEM program utilizes an interdisciplinary approach to evaluate and treat problems of the elderly. Its goals are to improve the veteran's level of physical and psychological function and to find and treat previously undetected problems. The veteran must have the mental capacity to learn new skills. Emphasis is placed on meeting all the veteran's needs and discharging patients to home. The usual length of stay on the GEM unit is 4 weeks or less.
Short Stay Unit (SSU)
The Short Stay Unit program uses an interdisciplinary approach to the treatment of the elderly. Its goals are to improve the veteran’s level of function, to complete initiated treatment, palliative care, and implementation of discharge plan. Emphasis is on discharging patients to home or a facility other than a Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF). The usual length of stay on the Short Stay Unit is 60-90 days.
The Respite program provides chronically ill veterans with short-term stays in a nursing home unit in order to support and relieve their caregivers and help the veteran to continue to live at home. Contact the Nurse Manager, NHCU IV, (631) 261-4400, ext. 7449, or your Primary Care team’s social worker.
Palliative Care Unit
The Palliative Care program provides terminally ill patients who have completed desired and definitive treatment, with a supporting, understanding, and sustaining setting. Its goal is to help patients to live free from pain and symptoms.
Nursing Home Care
If you need more intensive care than can be provided at home or by family members, you may require care in a nursing home where physicians, nurses, social workers, physical therapists and other professionals provide specialized care. Your stay may be long or short term, depending upon your needs. Nursing home placements include:
- VA Nursing Home Units: Service-connected veterans are given priority status for these placements. VA facilities in the New York area include the Bronx, St. Albans and Northport.
- VA Contract Nursing Homes: The VA may pay for up to 31 days of care for non-service connected veterans when the veteran is transferred from an inpatient unit at the VA Medical Center. For service-connected veterans, the contract may be indefinite. You will need to apply for Medicaid to cover the cost of care following expiration of the contract. To allow sufficient time for their processing, Medicaid applications need to be initiated before you are accepted into the home. Non service-connected veterans and non-compensable zero percent service-connected veterans may be subject to co-payments when the placement is paid by the VA contract.
- Medicare/Medicaid or Private Payment Nursing Home Care: The nursing home costs are paid through either of these means depending on your situation.
- State Veteran’s Homes: In our immediate NY downstate area, State homes are located in Stony Brook, and on the VA campuses at St. Albans, Queens and Montrose, NY. State Nursing Homes are certified to accept Medicare and Medicaid for payment.
- Northport VA Medical Center
Hours of Operation
- Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:30pm